Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This is the part where...

...I start getting addicted to home improvement shows. HGTV and TLC -- I can't stop. I've been watching all those "flip the house" shows, looking for decorating ideas for the new place.

Now that it's closer to closing time, I'm getting overwhelmed with the adult-ness of buying a house. Yikes. I like my vagabond life. This feels like cement blocks tied to my ankles.

But everyone assures me it won't, and that when I actually sign all the paperwork and get the keys, it will all be different. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. And in the meantime, I'm looking at paint for the hideous blue bathroom. Yellow, my sister says. I like yellow. That could be nice. Yellow with navy accents?

Last night was the first time in two weeks I've slept straight through for seven hours that didn't involve fever/delirium. Maybe this Devil Flu is starting to go away, finally. I still feel like hell, but maybe the third level instead of the seventh or eighth. Two weeks and counting...

Hope everyone gets to see the total lunar eclipse tonight. I wrote a little story on it for today, which was fun. I like talking to the people from NASA and NOAA -- they get so excited to talk about their areas of expertise. I think that's my first eclipse story in what, more than 17 years of journalism?

Anyway, if your area isn't cloudy, it could be fun to check out the orange/red/brown celestial event tonight.

Completely unrelated, but why won't blogger spell check my stuff anymore? I might need to update the template. That seems fraught with peril. Hmmm...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Noelle loves those shows too. But her interest has flagged now that our expansion project is done (and we try to get ourselves out of hock).

Sickness not as bad as yours has hit our house, with me being the last to fall. I'm feeling it coming on now, just days away from the Birkebeiner, the big ski race up north Saturday. Sigh.

Oh, I wanted to mention that I was at Whalgreens this afternoon waiting for my photos to be developmed and paging through the latest humongo issue of Vanity Fair. In it was a two-page spread of that Cheap Trick bicycling ad. The March issue.

I didn't buy it, but on second thought, the add would fit the decor of my office perfectly.

Lorena said...

You BUY it! You buy a Varvatos suit, too. You'd look great, every guy needs a nice suit, and maybe they'd keep using my favorite band if people said "Damn, I want a suit just like Robin Zander was wearing in that ad!"

I'm sorry you guys have been sick. This is the year for the Devil Flu.

You gonna be OK for the race?

Unknown said...

I'd feel really silly buying that particular issue of VF. Actresses in frilly white dresses on the cover, and all.

Plus they want like $5.95.

That's gotta be cheaper than one of those suits, though.

Actually, when I saw the ad my first question was "where did they get those vintage bikes?" then "where can I get one?" then "good thing they've got fenders, cause those nice suits would get dirty in a hurry."

But I'm a freak.

Unknown said...

There were so many things in that post that I have to keep going back and checking out what I want to respond to.

OK, first, yellow. That would be very lovely but you will have to prime heavily before you paint. Also, in my experience, it is hard to get a shade of yellow that really looks right on your wall. I painted my kitchen yellow in our Salt Lake house and never was really happy with the outcome. It just hinted too much of chartreuse.

We paraded outside to see the lunar eclipse with all four kids and my visiting in-laws. Remember, my FIL is bat-crap crazy, especially when it comes to astronomy. So he was jumping up and down and kind of talking in baby talk and stuff. The kids loved it. The neighbors ... I'm not sure. My MIL was about ready to kick his butt.

Lorena said...

Ana, I love that I have a complete visual of your lunar-eclipse experience. Thank you for that!

I know, you're right about the yellow. I'm just unsure. I'd kind of like to go with an orange-y color, but we have to be careful down here about getting "Clemson" orange. That, apparently, is not OK in these parts.

I still love the idea of navy, but the room is so small, I'm worried about it looking like a cavern.

And Joel, you're not a freak. You're a dad -- you think about people clothes getting dirty on a bike.

I love those bikes, too. And actually, if you check out the Electra bike site, you can find awesome cruisers that look vintage.