Friday, February 15, 2008

The Bear of Friday

Here's Knut, the little narcissist. But I don't blame him. If I looked like that, I'd stare at my reflection all day, too. Of course, he's not a tiny cub anymore, he's grown a lot. I'm just waiting for the flood of cute pictures of Flocke, the new baby bear, to come out.

Today I'm feeling thankful that my sweet friend Tom, who works at NIU, and his daughter Liz, a student there, were not injured. I called to see how Tom is doing, and he sounded shell-shocked and so sad. I cannot imagine what it would be like to go through a situation like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, is that Tom from the Be Confused?

Unknown said...

I forgot he quit the paper to teach. Please give him my best.

This must be a tough time for him. And from what I've read, the motive for the shooting remains a mystery. Not sure answers would help or if you can ever make sense of the senseless ....

Lorena said...

He's not teaching, he's doing community relations. He had to be in the thick of the day, and I'm sure he's going to be quite overwhelmed for weeks.

I will pass along your good wishes when I talk to him, though.

Even if you knew the answer, it still wouldn't be enough explanation. It would never make sense to people who would never do something like that. There's no answer that could ever explain why someone would do that, to me, nothing that would ever make me say "I get it."