Sunday, July 15, 2007

The road less traveled through Oregon

I really wanted to post a couple of pics I took today while driving through Oregon, but no luck. Maybe I used up all my luck yesterday.

Eastern Oregon is beautiful -- drove through John Day Fossil Beds on the way up to Pendleton, where I'm spending the night. The scenery changes from forests to golden buttes and back again within just a few miles.

I saw a little castle someone had built along the roadside, and a few sweet swimming holes on Long Creek. It was hot enough to stop and jump in, but I wanted to get as close as possible to the Washington border without stopping.

I also saw a woman with the biggest sideburns ever. Hers put Elvis's porkchops to shame, although they stopped just below her ears. Maybe the ponytail wasn't such a great choice for her.

Apparently, people in Oregon don't really have any concept of distance or time. I asked three people how far it was to my next stop, and every time, they said "about six or seven hours." In reality, it was two hours each time.

Regardless, it has been a lovely 14-hour drive so far. Tomorrow, I should be at my sister's cabin in about four hours. Ahhh, relaxing by the lake, hanging out with family and Oscar, the basset hound! I hope I get to see him in his lifejacket, which he wears when he gets to go out on the sailboat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome Pics L!
Get thee to Moab!
Obe