Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Brokeback Wichita

Clearly, the little sign that says "please don't add soap, oil or bubble bath to the jacuzzi" still doesn't apply to me. As my friend Jen said, that's for stupid people.

You might think the "please" in the sign, or last night's bubble fiasco, would have dissuaded me. You'd be wrong.

Now, however, I've successfully discovered the correct bubble-bath-to-jacuzzi ratio. I controlled my chaos.

I'm leaving my jacuzzi sah-weet in the a.m., but still, if I ever get upgraded again, I'll know how not to leave evidence of my flagrant disregard for the rules.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangstah.

Tomorrow, I'm off for the greater Pueblo area. My first editor, Mark, invited me to come watch his jazz band play tomorrow night. He said I could come and heckle him while he plays the sax!

Pass that up? Never.

Friday, I'll head for Kansas.

I think I spoke with Ennis from "Brokeback Mountain" tonight when I called a Wichita Walgreens.

I want a certain kind of medicine (yes, I am that high-maintenance), and my pharmacist (my personal pharmacist in California) said I could just call ahead by a day or two and ask any Walgreens to cater to me.

So I called, and the pharmacist sounded exactly like Heath Ledger doing his cowboy drawl in the movie, all low and mumbly like that.

I explained my needs, and Wichita's Ennis said "Nope, cain't order nothin' special for ya."

Sorry, Ennis, but I'ma have to quit you before we even get to meet.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Haaaa....you are now entering the 'bible belt' when you cross into Kans-Ass! Better get someone back home to send your stuff Lorena. Oh, and if you want an evening cocktail, make sure you get it while in Colorado. Maybe your old boss will let you up on the stage and play the tamborine...LOL! And we want pictures too.

Robin Goldman said...

Lorena, if you don't publish a book soon, the next time I see you, I'm going to smack you! I've really enjoyed reading your postings. Such good writing. Oh, and, uh, sorry about sending you over the pass in the dark. Yikes. Shoulda thought about that one ...
PS -- No Gracie Bella yet!

David Grow said...

Someone once said if you only have six months to live, go to Witchita--it will seem like an eternity. Glenn Campbell liked it but he was the only one. Proceed to the nearest exit.

Lorena said...

Robbie! I'll only write a book if you'll be my editor. And if Dan will hurry up and write his.

Gracie's not even fashionably late, yet, but I swear, I will be surprised if she has not made an appearance by Sunday.

Hope you're feeling better.

And heya, Brian! You were able to post after all!

I didn't play anything last night, athough a guest harmonica player from Denver asked if I was a singer because I was sitting at the "band table." Ha ha! I'm only a rock star in my car. And sometimes the shower.

DG -- cannot wait to see you! Getting across all of Kans-ass is going to seem like an eternity -- no offense, Robbie, my Kans-ass homegirl.