Monday, July 23, 2007

The Continental Divide

Now I get why my dad used to be so grumpy when we went on road trips that took us up and over mountain passes. I drove up the Continental Divide over Wolf Creek Pass -- in the dark. Not so smart, really, both because going up at twilight, it looked like it was beautiful and I couldn't really stop to take pictures because it was already too dark for that and because it's really, really freakin' steep and you don't want to lose steam.

So I'm stealing someone else's photo, just so you can see what I would have seen had I driven it during the day.

On the way up, I saw a waterfall, little lakes with trees in the middle of them and several young bucks standing along the side of the road.

The summit is 10,080 feet.

Going down, it was dark. Dark dark. And the deerlings were poised right along the side of the road, in perfect leaping distance to the front of my car. Not only do I not want to hurt a deer, I don't want to hurt my car. There was a big-ass semi right behind me all the way down the 8 percent grade. About halfway down, I got so tense, I had to turn off one of my favorite Cheap Trick CDs. Just couldn't take it. I get why my dad used to tell me to shut up with the "When are we gonna be there? I'm thirsty! Dad!" Seriously. If anyone had been asking me those questions tonight, I would have barked at them, too.

I'm staying in South Fork for the next couple of days, working from a nice little hotel with wi-fi where the very nice desk clerk upgraded me to the "jacuzzi suite" for the same low, low online price as a regular room. It's sah-weet! From the balcony, I can look out on the half-cloudy, half-starry sky (Peter Pan sky, I always think when it looks like that), and for the first time, it's cool and lovely out. Plus, it really has a jacuzzi tub.

Had dinner with Dan and Robin, who, I swear, is going into labor before the week is up. Dan says Aug. 3, but I think Gracie Bella is going to make an appearance any moment. We met up in Durango -- charming town! Touristy, but so cute. Like a bigger Sonora with more to see and do.

I'm excited for Thursday, when I get to meet up with Mark, my first editor, who lives near Pueblo. I'm just hoping to persuade him to say, like he used to when I was a cubby reporter, "Get your ass in here and turn out some copy."

The high desert was beautiful, but I sure am glad to be in the mountains. Trees! Grass! Lakes! Rivers! And a glorious thunderstorm in Durango that lasted for about 30 miles. Yay!

2 comments:

uptick said...

What a beautiful picture do you remember the movie with John Balushi.

Lorena said...

Yes! It's one of my favorite movies, actually. I wish I had taken this photo.