Friday, July 27, 2007

Kansas, Woooo!

Halfway across Kans-ass! I'm in Hutchinson tonight, just a couple hundred miles from Kansas City.

You can't say Kansans have no sense of humor. All along the drive, I kept seeing signs that said "Mountain route," but nothing remotely resembling a mountain. Anywhere.

I kept expecting to see signs saying "Ski Kansas."

I did see Boot Hill, though.

The absolute best part of the drive? 27 miles -- no exaggeration -- of road that's being resurfaced, but in the meantime, it's like driving over 27 miles of rumble strip. Five miles after the road was good again, my head was still vibrating.

I saw a "horse motel" but didn't stop, a marquee sign reading "We have Coca Cola" and "New! ATM" like it was the first time Kansas had ever had either, and a sign for the Garden City Zoo promising "Tall, Tall Giraffes." I guess African giraffes are just regular-tall. These Kansas giraffes, I expect, are as tall as the Sears Tower.

5 comments:

David Grow said...

Kansas is generally flat as a salt marsh so anytyhing taller than an average stalk of corn would probably achieve "tall" status. Really long-necked critters? They're "tall, tall."

Brian said...

The grain bins are considered the skyscrapers of Kans-Ass Lorena. Once you cross into Missouri it is kind of like moving ahead 10 years in time. Glad to hear they discovered Coca Cola and ATM's though! Have a few White Castle burgers and some of that good BBQ for me. Happy Trails to you!

Lorena said...

I'm tempted to go to the Kansas City Zoo just to see if they have any tall, tall things.

But first, I'm fixin' to eat some barbecue.

Thanks, Brian! Hope everything is good in AZ-land!

Brian said...

MMMMM....baby back ribs, cornbread and peach cobbler...thats what I'm talking about! When you get to St Louis try to find that fountain that emits Budweiser. I drove all over the place, but was unsuccessful in locating it...LOL!
There are some nice restaurants downtown near the baseball and football stadiums. They have these white carriages pulled by white horses to get the folks around that are kind of cool. The gateway arch is near there too. Things are going pretty good in AZ, its been a cold spell lately.(low 90's) A couple of news choppers collided on Friday, while covering a stolen vehicle in Phoenix, which was very sad. 4 good folks lost their lives.

Unknown said...

It can be done!
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/ski+kansas/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_13340423/opt_/fpt_/c_360/