Saturday, July 21, 2007

I heart Zion


Every now and then I have one of those moments where I realize my - and by "my" I mean humankind's - insignificance. Zion National Park'll do that to me, I guess.

I only saw a very small portion today, but staring up at the monumentally huge canyon walls, shaped by forces that have no concern for us and have absolutely nothing to do with us, thinking about the millenia that have etched their lines on the faces of those walls, gave me that overwhelmingly small feeling.


I think I just have to let some pictures speak for me. My plan is to enter the park from the other side tomorrow and spend a good portion of the day wandering around.

If the skies are clear (which they are not this afternoon), I'll go see the Grand Canyon, too, though I refuse to go out on the glass-bottomed walkway. Some things are just too freaky for me.

I'll drop down into Arizona and over to Colorado on Monday, and hole up somwhere to work. It's hot and smoky and overcast here in St. George. I've been listening to the new HP book on CD as I drive, but I also have a copy to read while I'm not in the car.
I think I'll go sit in the pool and read for a while.
So far, the trip has been great. And safe.
Oh, one more thing. If you want to read about a real adventure, check out http://sailconfetti.blogspot.com/. My fabulous niece, Liz, and her friends are sailing the Pacific.

No comments: