Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hurricane Watch, Day 1

Here's a picture of Hanna staggering drunkenly around the Bahamas for a few days while Gustav was hitting the Gulf region. Now, she's on her way here. At this point she's weak, still a tropical storm, but getting a little stronger. We should start seeing some wind and rain about noon tomorrow.

Here's the forecast right now: Horry County (yes, I live in Horry County. Go ahead with the "Whore-y" jokes) could start to feel the impact of the approaching storm early Friday morning into Friday late afternoon, with the strongest conditions being felt late Friday evening into early Saturday morning. The current track brings Hanna into the South Carolina/North Carolina border at the extreme northeastern tip of Horry County as a potential Category 1 storm. As the storm approaches and makes landfall, residents of Horry County (go ahead again) can expect 40 – 60 mph sustained winds, 2-4 inches of rain, and a chance of isolated tornadoes. Storm surge could be 2-4 feet with an elevated high tide that is 1-3 feet above normal.

No, I'm not worried, and yes, I'm prepared.

I love storms.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wasn't it you who said the Midwest's tornadoes kept you from living there longterm?

Batten down the hatches. Hope it "blows over." Er, passes you and all the other Horries by.

OK, none of this is funny. Believe me, I don't wish a hurricane about you or anyone. I hope, for everyone's sake, this one peters out.

Lorena said...

I think it's just going to be a stormy weekend. It's Ike people are more worried about next week. Right now, it's a well-organized Cat. 4 storm.

Tornadoes aren't what kept me from living there long-term, insanity was.

I just used to argue with Dave over, among other things, tornadoes being as bad as or worse than earthquakes, when he'd get all judgmental about California.

I think it will be fine.

Andy Shupe said...

Gustav has been dumping rain on us for, oh, three full days and counting with no break. Hopefully, you will get just rain and no drama.

Lorena said...

And thank god you guys only got rain. Although flooding could be an issue -- I hope you're all safe!

Unknown said...

It's raining here in Wisconsin today. I'm no meteorologist, but it's probably unrelated.

Unknown said...

Whorry County! Is it near Slutville? Or Hookers County?

Unknown said...

Or Skankfield?

Lorena said...

You boys are so clever.

Unknown said...

Not that I'm asking for credit, but I rtesisted for the better part of yesterday.

Then Peter left the door open....