Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One more reason to go to Bangkok


This is Pong. She's one of the homeless elephants of Bangkok, who wanders the streets begging for food.

Look how excited she is to have found some ice cream on the sidewalk. I was that excited about the new Cheap Trick DVD/CD thing, but I'd be way more excited if I could go to Bangkok and take care of these homeless elephants.

It makes me sad to see Pong's face at finding this little bit of food -- not even real elephant food. Look at her eye. Seriously. This makes me feel like crying for some reason.

Ms. Schnakenberg has said I can stay at her place if I go, but I've dreaded the 20-hour flight. But seeing my friend AND Pong the elephant -- that could be enough.

4 comments:

Andy Shupe said...

I guess I had no idea that there were homeless elephants in the world. Wow.

kgisborne said...

Yep, very sad to see Pong looking so excited over some melting ice cream on the pavement.

If Pong is really homeless, he/she must have to live in a really BIG cardboard box. Do they even make boxes elephant sized?

Lorena said...

I think elephants gather up several refrigerator boxes and put them together. They're crafty that way.

Unknown said...

But if there were discarded refrigerator boxes, wouldn't there be refrigerators, i.e. better places than the sidewalk to keep ice cream? I'm thinking the elephants can't have their refrigerator boxes and ice cream and eat it too.