Thursday, March 6, 2008

Awww, the school board

Here's a picture of downtown Aurora, Illinois. This is taken not far from where I lived then -- maybe a block or two. Though I don't remember the riverfront looking as nice when I lived there.

I've been filling in on the education beat this week, and it reminds me of when I covered the school board in Illinois. In a strange way, I miss them. They weren't the most miss-able people, either.

I was thinking fondly of my town council members in Oswego and Yorkville, too. I even looked up their city Web sites, but almost everyone on those boards is different now, of course, which then made me realize I left there almost 10 years ago.

Damn. Time really does seem to go by faster the older I get.

My belongings are on their way from California tomorrow, and allegedly will arrive next week, and Betsey's coming over this weekend to help me choose paint and get some painting done. She has a wallpaper remover, too, which is great, because, of course, the room I most want to change, the blue bathroom, is not going to surrender its border without a fight.

But I will be victorious. That bathroom will be a different color after this weekend. I just don't know which color, yet.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

C'mon. You do NOT miss those bozos – who I might name if I hadn't erased their evilness from my memory banks – on the Yorkville School Board. But I think the nameless n'er-do-wells were kicked out before I left.

And that prettified section of the Fox River through downtown could become even coller if they put in a whitewater park as some hope.

Remember Jeff Long in the sports department? He wrote this for my mag a year or so ago:

http://silentsports.net/a_pedal-paddle_hub_.html

Time does fly, as they say.

Unknown said...

Even "cooler," which isn't a word either but would have made more sense in the note above....

Lorena said...

I get a little sentimental for that time, and yeah, even those people. I felt like I did pretty good work back then (not as good as it could have been, but we don't need to list the reasons why), but yeah, sometimes I do miss it.

They were frustrating, but very fun to write about.

I miss the Oswego trustee who used to scream "Bobbitt!" everytime I'd call him for a comment.

That line gets funnier every time I hear it.

I remember Jeff Long. That's great! It was a one-off? Or does he write for you still?

A whitewater park, you say? Hmmm. I never really was all that tempted to get in the Fox River. I don't know if rapids would make it any more desirable.

Unknown said...

Jeff's written one other piece for me and he had an extensive exchange with my paddling columnist who thinks highly of his knowledge and experience. Jeff retired from the paper some time ago.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'll admit having some fun covering that board as well. But you-know-who and his wife, with all their evesdropping and other dirty tricks, were crazy MFs.