Thursday, January 17, 2008

Surf's up in the MB

Some crazy winter storm has blown in, and the ocean is all stirred up. It's been calm as a pond all week, but last night the rain came -- I think it might be here to stay for the weekend -- and this morning, the sea was, well, a little wilder.

There were actually tiny breakers this morning. Baby waves.

The other day, I heard someone talking about wanting to "preserve the surfing zones" along the beaches here, and it made me laugh a little because this is the calmest ocean ever. The beaches here are perfect for walking, shell collecting, sitting and watching the birds, getting a tan in the summer and easy swimming. But hanging ten? Shooting the curl? Not so much.

Of course, I'll be eating those words when a hurricane comes.

This weekend is our state's GOP primary. I love Election Night, and I say that with no snark whatsoever. I have always loved being in the newsroom on Election Night. It's exciting. And this year, I get three, because SC does its primaries on two different days, then we have the general election.

There's just this buzz when you're actually covering stuff as it's happening. Everyone's all tense, deadline feels like a guillotine and then, suddenly, you're done and everything is filed and the paper's being put together and it's like a little miracle -- people are actually going to have a paper to read in the morning.

It's like that bit from "Shakespeare in Love."

"It will all work out."

"But how will it?"

"I don't know. Its a mystery."

1 comment:

Andy Shupe said...

Odd, when I was given the choice of days off, I picked Tuesdays and I never regretted it. You newshound.