Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My geeky heart weeps with joy

Glorious be the day! Peter Jackson is making "The Hobbit," which means LOTR dorks like me everywhere have something to look forward to. Actually, two somethings, because it's apparently going to be two movies released in 2010 and 2011. Actually, can't they just start NOW? They still have all the costumes and most of the sets. It's not like the wilds of Australia suddenly became suburbs.

Maybe they're just planning to spend the coming year creating Smaug the dragon. Woo!

Yahoo news has a short piece on it here.

Unfortunately, there's no Legolas in "The Hobbit," but there's plenty of Gandalf. Please, someone protect Ian McKellen between now and then. Because if he's out for any reason, they'd probably replace him with Michael Gambon, who plays Dumbledore in the "Harry Potter" movies. If he replaced Ian McKellan, Gandalf would be as lame and boring as Dumbledore is now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I did not know this until I opened your blog right now. You have totally made my day. Maybe Orlando can play one of the wood elves. I like him better when he doesn't look so clean, anyway.

Lorena said...

See, I only like Legolas. In every other context, Orlando has zero sex appeal to me. You know how I feel about him next to Johnny Depp as a dirty pirate.

Unknown said...

Well, almost no one would do well next to Johnny, especially for you. But I was surprised how much better I liked Orlando with a giant scar on his chest.

I just didn't think he fared too well next to Viggo. Be still, my heart ... do you think we could work a Viggo cameo into the Hobbit?

Lorena said...

Seeing as how Peter Jackson's plan seems to be The Hobbit in one film and then a transition from the end of The Hobbit to Fellowship -- a completely new story made up by Jackson and his partner, Fran Walsh -- there could be Aragorn, Legolas -- pretty much anything he wants. I vote yes on that.