Saturday, December 1, 2007

An early Christmas present from YouTube

Maybe only Joel will appreciate this post, but this is what happens at midnight when someone sends me links to vids on YouTube.

I wish I had been in Tunica, Miss., a couple weeks ago for what looks like a damn fine Cheap Trick show. But thanks to the magic of YouTube, I can still enjoy it, and so can YOU! Whoever filmed this did a really good job with the sound, and is clearly a Robin Zander fan. She hardly ever films anyone else. I don't blame her. He might be somebody's dad, but he's still woohoo (except for the stupid hats and, sometimes, the leather pants). Plus, he looks like he might be having a good time again.

Forgive me rhapsodizing over Robin, but it must be done from time to time.

I defy people not to like The Flame once they've heard it live. This isn't the absolute best version I've ever, ever heard, but it's got to be in my top 10. I love how enthusiastic the crowd is when Robin rips a little near the end. I love it when they do it slow and acoustic the best. I like this one, from 1988, if I don't look at Robin's hair. It looks like there could be something living in that nest.

If You Want My Love sounds great -- I had gotten way over this song, but the arrangements they've been playing with the past few times I've seen them have got me liking it again. Whatever Robin was doing at the very beginning (the video cuts in after he already started) -- I hope he does it again when I see them next year.

Still playing I Want You To Want Me as fast as possible, but now with a punky little German countdown at the beginning.

Ain't That a Shame is rockin', you get a few minutes of Rick's five-neck on Surrender but then it's right back to Robin and his long blond hair (yay!), or this one, complete with Robin's infamous "hand gestures." It must be those leather pants need some adjusting. And what show would be complete without the Dream Police?

Here are some Canadians enjoying my favorite band, and it's Dream Police again, but the sound is good, even if the video is boring. Auffie still rocks, too.

Fun version of Goodnight Now.

And, someone's tribute to my favorite lead singer in the whole wide world. Yes, this song is actually available on an album by a band called The Breakup Society. Check out all the different incarnations of The Hair. Man, some of those do's were don'ts. But I love the old clips from the late '70s. Flawless.

But Sweet Nancy Moses, what the hell is this? Cheap Trick plays a band called "Pandemonium" on some crap TV show with a message? This is so bad it's delicious! Robin plays Jack Stone, who has lines like "And you're fired, you little poser." It's so good, especially when they party like rock stars.

Here's hoping I can squeeze in eight shows in 2008 and make it an even 50 Cheap Trick concerts. Maybe they'll finally play Way of the World for me, or Speak Now or, well, anything is fine, really.

No comments: