Monday, September 17, 2007

The Grand Strand

That Atlantic. It almost waylaid me this morning on my way to work. A big part of me wants nothing more than to sit in the sand and look at the water and think about nothing but the beautiful mystery of the ocean.

This was probably my easiest first day at work ever, at least in journalism. Nothing to do but sign paperwork, learn the computer system and read. Usually the first day is "can you do a story for tomorrow?" and then a flurry of trying to learn enough about the topic to do decent interviews and pounding the keyboard as fast as possible to hit deadline.

So why am I so tired tonight? I think I got my first decent night's sleep in more than a year last night, and woke up slow this morning. Drove slow, too, along Ocean Boulevard, looking out at the water as I went. I felt sad to turn inland to the office.

But everyone at my new place seems really nice and friendly. The newsroom rocks the Folgers coffee (no hazelnut "creamer" though) to keep us awake. It took three cups to get the same woozy, head-rushy buzz I get from one Starbucks. Of course, my Starbucks is usually a venti with at least one espresso shot in it.

All of a sudden, the weather has changed. The humidity seems to have gone, at least for now. I don't think it got over 85 today, not a cloud in the sky, a cool breeze all day. Gorgeous. Although it's supposed to storm from Wednesday all the way through the weekend, which is great, but probably means the humidity is about to make an encore appearance. If there's a thunderstorm, I won't complain.

Part of my beat means covering the new Hard Rock theme park that's scheduled to open next spring. The Led Zeppelin rollercoaster is almost complete. I get to go take the "Backstage Tour" soon. The developer promises a great opening show. Pretty sure it won't be Led Zeppelin.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Poor newsgrrrl! The ocean, the theme park ... hang in there!

(I had to delete my first comment because I accidentally compromised your privacy ... sorry!)

Lorena said...

Wow, I had no idea you were a privacy compromiser! Bad girl.

I know, it's a rough life here. I tell ya, though, the hardest part of every day is not just being hypnotized by the ocean.

Unknown said...

I don't know, you're timing might be just right.

It was confirmed just last week that Led Zeppelin was reuniting for the first time in 19 years to do a show in London.

Next stop could include a rollercoaster ride!

Lorena said...

Wow! I'd be down with seeing Robert Plant. Maybe they will show up! Of course, I know a band that will play anywhere, any time for almost no money, and they ROCK!

Andy Shupe said...

Glad to see you back at it. Heeeyahh!