Friday, April 18, 2008

I got no bear

No Bear of Friday this week. Just a few tidbits:

1. No lie, after Papa's speech the other day, Bush said "Thanks, Your Holiness. Awesome speech."

Awesome indeed.

2. Jen will be here Sunday and then Peter and Kevin arrive Wednesday evening for a weekend of fun, frivolity, Southern food and Slingshotty goodness. The Slingshot is a beachside attraction.

Its name is not in the least bit misleading.

You are strapped into a seat that's attached to huge rubber bandy things, and you bounce until you reach the upper limit of the rubber bands, about 200 feet above the pavement, flipping and turning at the peak of the bounce.

I cannot find a good picture of it, so I will see if I can take one this weekend.

I won't ride the Slingshot, of course, because seriously, I don't want my heart to stop just yet. But Peter and Kevin said they would, and for some reason, they are less fearful of that than of parasailing.

To me, parasailing is far less frightening because if a cord breaks, you're just going to fall into the ocean, not be fired like a human cannonball into a neighboring resort tower or fall straight down to the hard, unforgiving pavement.

But hey, as long as I get to watch... just kidding.

I'm just afraid that if an accident does happen, I'll have to write the damn story about my friends becoming severely handicapped projectiles.

3. I figured out that the mystery flowers in my yard are actually some kind of lily. Hooray for lillies. I also have bush roses (not George Bush roses) and some pretty purple things that might be weeds but I don't care.

4 comments:

Andy Shupe said...

After so many years at a newspaper, I see those things as the unalterable future site of a front-page disaster that I will be called to at some point.

Awesome post, by the way.

Lorena said...

I know. Why do I already think of it in headline form? I guess it's just years of this, huh?

Thanks, and when you are you coming out for your turn on the Slingshot, by the way? Burn up some of the milennia of vacation time you have stored up, would you?

Kevin Hudson said...

I am beginning to rethink this whole slingshot thingie...

Lorena said...

I wish I could record the evil laugh that inspired in me, and post it here to further make your knees shake, K.