Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Budget retreat, hell yeah!

I'm at the city budget retreat in Pinopolis, S.C. Yes, it's called Pinopolis.

The drive down here from the MB was gorgeous -- all back roads through the woods and swamps, and when you get here (here is about 30 miles away from Charleston), the little town where the retreat is held is picture perfect. Everything is blooming -- there are huge bursts of pink and purple azaleas, even in the most modest house's yards, beautiful white dogwoods everywhere, and Spanish moss and wisteria dripping from the trees. Wisteria is everywhere, even in the swampy areas.

These great houses that date back to the early 1800s, white with black shutters in the low country style, with their giant porches -- this is the kind of place where I'd like to own a house someday.

The road leads to the Santee Cooper conference center, which is a misleading name, because it's really like a giant park with old lakefront "cabins" (that are bigger than my house).

It's starting to get humid here -- we had rain all night, and now it's about 70 and damp. And the air smells like everything that's in bloom. Well, until you get near the paper mill. But that sweet flower smell will stay with me all day. What a great way to wake up, even after a night at the Holiday Sin in Moncks Corner (yes, I spelled that correctly).

It's not even half over and I can't wait to come back next year.

4 comments:

Andy Shupe said...

Is the South charming you or is it my imagination? You're thinking of buying a monster truck now, aren't you? Un huh..yeah!

Unknown said...

How 'bout staking your claim on a cotton plantation?

Lorena said...

I AM charmed! That's why I came back to the South. That and because I LOVE hearing people say "Y'all's's" as if it's the plural possessive of "y'all."

Lorena said...

And actually, I won't stake any claims on anything labeled "plantation." There are many, many housing developments here that bear that name, and I banned them all from my real estate search list.