Sunday, June 1, 2008

Yes I did, and no I didn't




Yes, I did see Robin, and no, I didn't humiliate myself. He said "Hey, you! Nice shirt!" because I wore my classic logo CT shirt to the red-carpet event.

He noticed the shirt as he and his wife and two youngest kids -- both named Robin (uh-huh. I'm not commenting) -- walked up the stairs to where there was, in fact, no red carpet. It had been pulled up after someone noticed some unsavory looking stains on it, probably left over from the last time Ozzy Osbourne was here. Damn rock stars.

I figured I was tempting the choking gods by popping some gum in my mouth before Robin arrived, but fresh breath took priority on the off chance he decided to actually get close enough to catch a whiff. He didn't. But it's OK. I've been breath-smelling close to him before.

I was even able to simply say "thank you," although my response was a little high-pitched -- maybe even squeaky.

Besides, blurting out "OhmygodIloveyou" never works, does it? It didn't last time I tried. Robin's used to it. He's over it. All the girls love Robin Zander.

Rick Nielsen was there, too, and also liked my shirt.

Not a bad dinner break, really.

Above, perhaps the close-uppiest picture I've ever taken of Robin (as he admired my million-year-old T-shirt), and Rick's "better side," per his request.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dare I say – risking the wrath of all who love Robin Zander – that he looks a little puffy in your photo of him? Maybe a couple rounds of speed golf would help.

And at least Rick asked you to shoot his better side than have you show him yours ... for once.

Did I read somewhere that CT is touring with Journey and Heart this summer? That'd be a hot early '80s bill, eh?

Lorena said...

Puffy? Ummm, welll... he's not the sleek and slender young man he once was, it's true. He's somebody's dad now. Several somebodies, actually... He has less hair and more wrinkles and a deeper voice and, well, he's not going to be wearing tight jeans anymore, I don't think.

I was looking at some old pics last night and thinking about how much he has changed over the years. You should see the pretty, pretty picture on my home computer's desktop. Not that you'd think it was as pretty as I do...

But you know what hasn't changed? He still ROCKS!

Yes, it's the ultimate 80s tour this summer, which I am skipping, because CT opens for Heart, and Heart opens for the faux-Journey (only one original band member left, and it ain't Steve Perry). I'm not paying $100 to go see CT play a half-hour set. What would you get? I Want You To Want Me, Dream Police, Surrender, Gonna Raise Hell and The Flame? That's about it for a half hour, right?

And yeah, I am grateful Rick didn't ask me if I wanted to, um, see "anything." We're all a little old for THAT kind of behavior.

Andy Shupe said...

He looks so much different from the time I photographed him. But, that was, like, a million years ago...

Sounds like you had a blast.

Lorena said...

It was about 45 minutes of waiting in the heat and humidity, and about three minutes of Zander-Nielsen. all in all, a very fair trade, I'd say!

Unknown said...

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a tour worthy of true CT fans. Rick might just stand up there and throw picks for half an hour.