Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fear

Phobia: A persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

I've always had sort of an oooky feeling about the big, blue mailboxes thanks to my mom. She used to tell me there was a little man inside the boxes and if I stuck my hand in too far, he'd grab me. Then she'd make me put a letter in the box and grab my leg or arm our shoulder to scare me.

This is a new one. Ever since I read a police report about a woman finding a snake in her car when she returned from shopping in the mall, I have had this growing suspicion that I will find a snake in my car. I can see it, like a little movie in my mind. I'm driving, unable to pull over or do anything about it, and a freaking snake comes slithering out from under my seat.

The other day I almost got in an accident because my pant leg got caught on the lever that moves the seat forward and back. I was sure it was a snake.

Now, I'm also afraid there will be a snake in my mailbox. I don't go out there at night, and when I do open the box, I stand off to one side and flip the door down and move my hand away really fast.

Wait. Maybe it's really a mailbox phobia.

But that doesn't explain my thing about clowns.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you find a snake, can I have it as a pet?

Come to think of it, I'm supposed to have the "pants snake." Not you.

And no, you can't pet my pants snake.

Lorena said...

Whoa, junior. This is a family site. Stop with the pants snakes.

Unknown said...

Why? Isn't that what you were talking about?

Out of the gutter with you.