Saturday, November 10, 2007

What rocks right now

The new Bruce Springsteen album. I don't usually listen to Springsteen song after song (except when Adam's plying guest D.J.), but I'm really enjoying this new stuff. Hope my downstairs neighbors don't mind it, or the Pete Townsend revival that's on right now.

Actually, seeing as how they don't even start their door-slamming, yelling, bowling-with-elephants parties until 2 a.m., I don't care if they like it. In fact, I might just put the speakers on the tile floor and turn it up, then dance around in high heels while I scrape a wooden chair across the floor.

Also, I realize I'm late to this, but I recently discovered Good Charlotte. Yay! And Jesca Hoop -- love her voice, especially on "Big Fish."

And I just saw "Sicko" this week. Normally, I'd be first in line for a Michael Moore movie, but I just never got around to it this summer while I was driving, and it came out on video on Election Day (convenient, that...) so I contributed about 50 cents to Michael Moore's fat bank account and bought it.

Typical M.M., there are some great stunts in it -- especially the trip to Guantanamo Bay and the Cuban hospital. I know he's a shameless self-promoter, but I like the guy. The movie will make you cry -- even if he takes a rosy view of what are surely flawed health-care systems in other countries, the stories here at home are heartbreaking. Made me remember to be extra thankful that my parents' health coverage was what it was.

The movie, like all of his films, made me furious. Made me want to move out of the country, in fact, and/or wish I was charismatic enough to start a revolution. But if Michael Moore can't do it, what chance have I got?

Today's driving home the reasons documentarians don't make movies about regular people's lives. Yawn. Here's our subject making coffee. Here she is writing out her grocery shopping list and contemplating actually going to the store. Fascinating.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend. If you haven't yet, or lately, check out my friend Michael Shea's blog from his trip to China (the link is on the right) -- great stories and beautiful photos. He's doing some crafty stuff with his pictures. I have to learn summa that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am loving that Springsteen album, too ... We gave it to P for Bosses' Day (get it? get it?) along with some other stuff but I don't know if she appreciated it fully ...