Monday, November 19, 2007

Get your Bigas on

Per Joel's request, here's the recipe for a shotgun-to-the-heart breakfast that so yummy on cold Sunday mornings in Aurora. It came to me from Miss Schnakenberg, who probably still makes the best pancakes ever. She knows her breakfasty treats.

Warning: The Bigas is addictive. It should be called "Crack-as." But that sounds too much like "Cracker," a word I don't want to be caught using in reference to anything other than a Triscuit here in the MB.

5 eggs
1/4 cup ricotta (sure, go ahead and use the low-fat kind, not that it makes a lick of difference)
5 slices bacon
2 small flour tortillas
1/4 cup chopped onion
handful of shaved Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs with a dash of cold water until they are fluffy and season with salt and pepper (I like lots of pepper and only a little salt, because the Parmesan and bacon are salty and full of delicious nitrates). Whisk in the ricotta. Cut the tortillas into bite-sized pieces and stir them into the eggs. Cover and refrigerate while you cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces and fry it until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan to a paper towel to drain. Reserve about a TBSP of the bacon fat and saute the onion in it until it's tender. Add the bacon back and reduce the heat to low. Get your egg mixture out of the fridge -- if there's almost no moisture left, you can beat up one more egg and stir it in. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and slowly stir it with a wooden spoon until the eggs are cooked through and creamy. Top with the shaved Parmesan. Serves 2.

We liked to eat it with a gooey cinnamon roll on the side and a lot of coffee. The best part is that the tortillas soak up the egg and get all soft like little dumplings. The longer you let them soak, the better the whole dish is. It is, as the kids used to say, "the bomb." Just don't plan on moving off the couch for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT'S IT! Oh my god, is that stuff yummy. I'm sure I can follow your directions, but it just wouldn't be the same without you actually making it for me.

Remind me again how I came to name it (and then forget it's name)? What was your previous name for it?

Yes, I got my prize for winning the caption contest. (It's true: You can't win if you don't play. Suckas!) I will where my new Myrtle Beach "Surrender The Booty" t-shirt proudly. And savor the saltwater taffy. Maybe on the side of a heaping plate of bigas!

Did you see how I rought that around again?

Thanks Lorena. You rock like Cheap Trick.

Lorena said...

Mole -- So glad you got your treats. I love/am ashamed of those pirate-y T-shirts, but I feel it's important for everyone to have one so they can feel the love/shame with me.

Bigas, if I remember rightly, was the name your friend from Texas told you when you described it to her. I never had a name for it -- other than Yummy.

If you and the fam ever get down here to the MB, I guarantee it will be on the breakfast menu.

Maybe I should open a Bed & Bigas here!

Andy Shupe said...

This sounds like heaven.

Unknown said...

Not surprising: Finn likes the "skeleton pirate" shirt; Noelle thinks it's ugly.

I will wear it often. Aargh!