Saturday, November 17, 2007

Another disappointing dinner

There are about a gigillion restaurants here in the greater MB area, and I like to try new-to-me places, so the restaurant section in the yellow pages of any new city is nothing but unlimited potential to me.

On Saturday nights, I take myself out to dinner hoping to find that one special place I could share with visitors.

I've found a great place for delicious martinis and mojitos -- especially the black-cherry mojito. Yum.

Other than that, I've had sad Asian chicken salad with the worst dressing I've ever tasted at a place everyone at work billed as "one of the best places in town;" a sucky lobster spring roll that had no actual shellfish in it and was burnt on the bottom; boring fajitas; chile rellenos drowning in cheese sauce; and, perhaps the worst because it should be the best because it comes right out of the local waters: badly done seafood -- overcooked, over-sauced, over-fried, just bad.

Tonight's experiment was a local trattoria. Now, I'll admit being a snob when it comes to Italian food, but when you know enough to call your ristorante a trattoria, I'm going to expect you know how to make at least decent cucina rustica -- a good bruschetta, a nice risotto and a fine espresso to end the meal. And if you're charging what this place charges, it better be better than decent.

Apparently, I need to lower my expectations.

My waiter told me he is Italian, but mispronounced everything on the menu, apparently having learned to identify his Italian food by watching "The Sopranos." Pro-shoot? Moozadell? Give me a break, junior. No, I'm NOT going to let you choose my entree (not when they are heading toward $30 a plate), and by the way, cappuccino is the one with lots of foam on top. Latte is the one with lots of milk in it and just a little foam. When I order a cappuccino, I want the foam. Worst risotto ever: This place.

Oh, and when you come to visit, I'll do the cooking. It won't be gourmet, but I won't lie and say it is, either.

8 comments:

mshea said...

Olde Tyme misses you.

Andy Shupe said...

I miss Lorena Stir-Fry at Chez Lorena. Is that place still open?

Lorena said...

Stir-fry is served around the clock here. Come to me.

Lorena said...

Shea's back from China! Hooray! I bet the Bee folks are happy to have you back, too! Say hi to Lyghtle for me when you talk to him. And Patty. And Pete. And Brian -- where's your weekender, dammit? I don't miss the Valley, but I sure miss those guys. And D. Day. And Vasche, even though I don't exist to him anymore.

Unknown said...

Often the case in tourist towns, I think. Good food can be hard to find.

What? You don't miss the Valley!!!??? Heheh.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I miss Chez Macarena, too.

You're gonna kill me for asking, but what was that breakfast specialty of yours, the one with the torilla strips? Need that recipe ...

Lorena said...

Ohhh, the Bigas? You're the one who discovered the name. I'll e-mail you the heart-stopping recipe. Actually, I'll just post it o the blog. Other people might want it, too. Awww, remember Sundays with the Bigas and cinnamon rolls and pot after pot of coffee and the whole ChiTrib?