Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Boxing Day is what?

I got tapped to do this year's Boxing Day story because I, apparently, was the only one in the room who knew what Boxing Day is. OK, one of a few.

My mission: To hunt down vacationing Canadians and ask them how they are celebrating Boxing Day. I've been stalking the parking lots at IHOP for a few days.

Now, I grew up with Canadian parents who observed Boxing Day as the holiday it is in Canada, Great Britain and Australia. My dad never worked on Boxing Day, my mom always made sure she put out tips for the mailman, garbage man, and anyone else who performed services.

That's what the day is for, after all. That and gathering up -- boxing up, if you will -- gifts and items for the poor.

Not only could I not find many Canadians here this winter, the ones I did talk to told me what Boxing Day has become. A day of shopping. Fucking consumerism. So a day that was all about giving has now become all about greed.

I think my parents would not be pleased.

No comments: