Saturday, November 1, 2008

One of my favorite movie-theater moments

Ha! I sat down to update the blog, read a couple things elsewhere and drink some water, and saw that the Baz Luhrmann version of "Romeo + Juliet" is on, and it reminded me of the first time I saw it in the theater.

I was with my friend Steve Rogers in Arkysaw, and there were only four other people in the theater -- two couples, one of which was sitting down the row from Steve and I.

So it gets to the part where Romeo thinks Juliet is dead and drinks the poison and dies, and the guy sitting down the row says loudly "Damn!"

At first I though maybe he spilled his soda or dropped Junior Mints into his popcorn.

Then comes there part where, in this version, Juliet wakes up, finds Romeo dead and shoots herself in the head.

The guy down the row again says "Damn," but even louder this time. Steve and I realize it is not a soda or popcorn mishap.

Then, as we're filing out after the pair of starcrossed lovers take their lives, the guy from down the row tells his date, "Wow, that was a fucked up endin'."

The only person in the world who did not know how Romeo & Juliet ends.

It was awesome.

1 comment: