Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hurricanes and sleep

It turned out to be more of a storm, really, when Bertha passed by over the weekend. We got some good rain, nice dark clouds, but it wasn't really more than breezy.

But hurricane season has started. I'm not trying to sound gleeful about it, either. Maybe I'm just a little snarky from listening to a manager explain what a news story is to someone who thinks they are a seasoned news veteran. That does make me a little gleeful.

Ahhh, cubby reporters. A little like hurricanes themselves. Sometimes they turn out to be whoppers and sometimes, well, they just blow a little rain and fizzle out.

I have to be at a meeting at 8:30 a.m., and am already planning my early morning Starbucks assault. Lately, sleep is not my friend. I either can't go to sleep or can't stay asleep, and by the time I realize it's going to be a problem, it's too late to take a sleeping pill that will knock my ass out for eight or more hours.

Or I get a really good night's sleep, but it's not enough. I wake up at 7 and think I can sleep for another half hour, then end up waking up at 8:15 and having to take a record-breaking fast shower and rush out the door. Plus, that last hour and 15 is like the best sleep I get all night -- I find the sweet spot in my bed, everything is at the right temperature, my pillows are comfy and I actually dream.

I'd really like to sleep a normal eight, get up with time for coffee and breakfast and not have to multitask in the shower or forgo shaving my legs to make it to work on time. On weekends, when I tell myself I'm going to sleep in, I don't. I'm up at 7 and feeling very productive. It's only a problem on work days.

Anyone have any good ideas/advice that don't involve an Ambien addiction?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried Melatonin? I am a big fan.

And you, missy, are so in your element. Love to see it.